Sat, Jul 22|
No MVP Letter Writing
Do you long to deepen your commitment in the fight against climate change? Do you want to engage in important local actions but find it overwhelming or don't know where to start? You're not alone! Join us in friendship and community to learn and take meaningful actions, together.
Time & Location
Jul 22, 2023, 2:00 PM – 5:00 PM
Mebane, 1625 Ben Jones Dr, Mebane, NC 27302, USA
About the Program
As some of you know, this past Sunday 7 Directions of Service and Haw River Assembly co-hosted a No MVP Southgate Community Event to raise awareness and encourage all to take action in the fight against the proposed 73-mile extension of the Mountain Valley Pipeline mainline. It poses a grave danger to working class and farming families, and the entire ecosystem of the Piedmont region, including our watershed.
We heard from community organizers including 7 Directions founder Dr. Crystal Cavelier-Keck, managing director of POWHR Coalition Russell Chisholm, Haw Riverkeeper Emily Sutton, and Virginia Field Coordinator for Appalchian Voices Jessica Sims. They provided us with an overview of what's currently happening along with important next steps that need to happen in the next week. Read an update HERE.
Michelle and I would like to invite you over to our home this Saturday afternoon for an Earth Care & Action event where we will support one another to write the letters and make the necessary calls that are needed at this time. This will be followed by a pond float or swim. Here's what we'll be focusing on:
- Signing onto the letter to FERC opposing Southgate by July 24th
- Submitting our own comments to FERC
- Emailing Gov. Cooper who has raised concerns about the MVP Southgate Extension, a project that would doom his very own Carbon Plan. We'll ask the Governor to follow through and write a letter of Southgate opposition to FERC.
After we're done, for those who wish to stick around, we'll make our way down to the pond for a swim and/or float. Be sure to bring a bathing suit, towel, sun screen and a floating device if this interests you.
WHY CLIMATE COVEN?
This is the kind of community support that Michelle and I have identified we need in our lives right now in order to show up ever more boldly. Doing this work alone is daunting, but doing it in community has the potential to nurture meaningful, deep-rooted connections. We imagine this to be the first iteration of many.
- We will attempt to host this inside by limiting the amount of attendees for the first gathering.
- COVID PROTOCOL: We ask that you wear masks inside unless the group decides otherwise.
- computer and/or notebook for writing
- phone for making calls
- swimsuit & towel
- sun screen & bug spray
- hat (optional)
- floating device (optional)
- water & snacks